Cannes 2012, like every other year, boats of some strong pieces of cinema crafted by eminent filmmakers around the world.
In the Competition section, filmmakers like Michael Haneke (known for Cache, The Piano Teacher, The White Ribbon), David Cronenberg (known for Cosmopolis, A Histroy of Violence, Crash, The Fly, Eastern Promises), Cristian Mungiu (known for 4 Months, 3 Weeks, & 2 Days and Tales from the Golden Age), Wes Anderson (known for Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Darjeeling Limited, The Royal Tenenbaums), and Abbas Kiorastami (known for Taste of Cherry, Close Up, Certified Copy) are competing, among others. The full list of entries in this category is here.
In the Un Certain Regard section, filmmakers from India (Miss Lovely directed by Ashim Ahluwalia), Mexico (Desputes De Lucia directed by Michel Franco), and Belgium (A Perdre La Raison directed by Joachim Lafosse), among others, are there.The full list of entries in this category is here.
The winners in the Competition section are:
- Palme d'Or AMOUR (LOVE) directed by Michael HANEKE
- Grand Prix REALITY directed by Matteo GARRONE
- Award for Best Director Carlos REYGADAS for POST TENEBRAS LUX
- Award for Best Screenplay Cristian MUNGIU for DUPÃ DEALURI (BEYOND THE HILLS)
- Jury Prize THE ANGELS' SHARE directed by Ken LOACH
The winners in the Un Certain Regard section are: